Monday 20 October 2014

Losing Weight the Right Way and Keeping it OFF this time!



Hi guys, welcome back as we press on to better health.

There is so much to say on the topic of health that I sometimes don’t know where to start. So I thought I would begin by addressing something of interest to most and that is weight loss, especially fat loss. Now you who don’t have this problem still need to listen (read) as well because I want to deal with all round fitness at the same time.
Everyone who is overweight, especially the ladies, wants to know how to loose it. But I’ll start by giving you the cold hard facts; this may not be easy to achieve. It really depends on your resolve or determination. Personally I am underweight and have always been. But I do understand your frustration having interacted with many who are overweight.


Most of you already know about the detriments (negatives) of being overweight like the potential for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint), sleep apnea and breathing problems, cancer (and that’s the short list) among many others. But I don’t want to address these problems as yet; let’s discuss the way out of your overweight or lack of fitness predicament.


Losing weight and fat is first a MIND-SET, a way of thinking. First you must believe that the whole issue is more about being fit and less than about trying to lose the weight or fat. You see you will automatically lose the weight when you become fit and do it firstly for health reasons and this way you will kill two birds (sorry) with one stone. Off course we all want to look and feel good. But even those who are this way may be sick (ill) on the inside without knowing it, some almost to the point of death. A school friend of mind who was at a good, healthy weight with no apparent health problems suddenly was diagnosed with cancer and was dead within a year. You might say I’m trying to scare you. Not really, that was not the intention. But maybe that could be what it may take for you to get healthy.


Here are two dilemmas to consider: which one do you prefer, being fat and alive and not knowing your health status or being slim and dead? What about losing the fat and becoming fit the right way - gradually or going on some crash diet and losing the weight quickly and dying not too long afterwards? Something to think about. These images might stir your appetite.



 


As I said before losing weight is first a mind set. When you work on becoming fit you will automatically lose the excess weight.

Let’s first tackle diet, the tough one. Yes I know we all have our comfort foods and some of us have little self control when we see cheese cake, especially if it’s free. – I’m sorry for you chefs and homemakers. I don’t know how you do it.
I think when you understand the purpose of food and what different kinds of food do to the body, you will be on your way to beating the weight problem for good.


I’ll tell you a personal story. I have always loved reading and watching anything to do with science and in school biology was one of my favorite subjects. I would even read material other than my text books. This helped me to begin understanding the whole issue of nutrition and fitness and why some of us get sick and some stay well functioning at there peak while resisting what others easily get. I wonder how come I didn’t become a doctor. It was/is easy for me because I enjoy this topic and am still noting everything I can find on it. You can get that desire too and that we will discuss later. Even if I wish, I have trouble to gain weight because I refuse to eat junk. (no it’s not junk food – it’s non-food.)

Here are some important tips to note that will help you understand the process:
·         
    * Our taste buds and our desire for certain food can be conditioned. Did you know when a baby comes into the world he/she will eat anything you give it whether it tastes good to you or not, broccoli, spinach...  Start by thinking to yourself; “I will become fit if I eat more (especially raw) vegetables. I will have less chance to get sick and spend all my money at the doctor” –I would think that’s a great incentive to become fit.
·         
 The food industry is in it primarily for the money. They don’t really care about you and your health. If we demand something they will sell it. That’s why they sell you the fried chicken with the cancer causing hormones in them and the fries soaked in ten-day-old oil - with unhealthy saturated fats! They know its bad for you but if you want it, fine, they say “we will take your money and sell it to you.” No matter the consequences.
·        Remember the saying if it’s too good to be true it just might be that, not good, or something like that. Most times the good tasting foods are not as healthy as the bland, bitter stuff.
·        Read food labels, the fine print so to speak! See what you find. I will have more on that later.
·        Exercise at least three times a week; aerobics and resistance training or lifting weights; they don’t have to be too heavy. Your muscles need work, that’s why you have them. “If you don’t use it you will lose it." They get flabby.
more on that later. (This post is mainly about diet.)
·        Increase your intake of raw foods, i.e. fruits and vegetables… everyday, yes! I can hear you saying yuck, but did you not want to loose weight and get healthy? Now you can still indulge in some cake and ice cream NOW AND THEN! It’s not bondage and there is also something to say about psychological (mental) health in that you may want it so bad that missing it to lose the weight defeats the purpose if you are mainly unhappy about the whole thing. But a little improvement at a time will eventually go a long way.

Yes, yes I know it sounds oh so boring and difficult but it can be fun. I plan to hook up with some classmates who make great looking and tasting vegan and vegie meals. I have tried some myself and you really can't tell the difference whether there is meat or not. Also Do you know how much fun it is to say “I’m not sick” or “I don’t have to give the doctor my money,” or to climb up Mt Everest (maybe not these days with the storm) or travel the world or… when you retire or at any age, without pain; arthritis and such?

See you next time, most likely I’ll continue this topic in my next post. Send me some questions and comments; I may be able to help you. 


references
www.google.com/images

No comments:

Post a Comment